Pingu Plays Fish Tennis (or just Fish Tennis) is the ninth episode of the first season.
The episode begins with Pingu sitting on a sled beside his house, asleep. Robby the seal passes by, sees Pingu asleep, and jokingly attacks Pingu with snowballs. Pingu is enticed immediately to join an acrobatic game in which they pass a large, red fish back and forth to each other. Pingu then tosses it high into the air, and the fish lands on Pingu's head, it's mouth trapped over his head. Robby, briefly abandoning his joking around, aids his relatively new friend by removing the fish from Pingu's head.
They then play a tennis-style game using the fish. However, the fish is eventually caught on the rope and, after a futile attempt to retrieve the fish, Pingu retrieves it using a pair of ice-stilts placed conveniently by his igloo. Robby then divides the fish into two equal parts, which they share and eat together.
- This was featured as a HiT Extra on the US DVD release of Thomas' Sodor Celebration DVD and the 2004 release of Barney: Ready, Set, Play!.
- In the remastered version, there is a video mix-up in the middle where it goes back to an earlier part for 5 seconds, then switches to where it was, missing out the bit where the fish gets stuck on the washing line. This does not happen in the earlier versions and the early redubbed version.
- Before the fish gets stuck on the washing line, Pingu disappeared for a brief period of time and then walks back into the scene because of the video mix-up in the new version.
- When the fish gets caught on the washing line, the fish is attached to a string.
- As Robby is eating his share of the fish, he appears messily covered in fish. But in the next scene, he is clean.